Sunday, December 28, 2008

Day Four - Bored at sea

At sea. We are very fortunate. On a scale of 1-10 where 10 is fear the boat may flip and sink from the swells, today was 2-3. The trip on this boat before us ranged from a 6-8 due to storms. We learned that while it is the middle of summer that usually means that there is more energy in the water. Mix warmer water with a subterranean ocean pattern and there are usually violent explosions in the water and storm tracks. But we just have rolling left to right, no dive bombings in the bow to add to the fun. What to do in a sea day? You can sleep, eat (just remember this is not dining like on a mega-liner), attend a lecture about something geographical, or sleep… Personally I’m choosing sleep or reading since the rolling and rocking of the boat puts me to sleep. There are no tv’s in the rooms, no room to room phone system, nothing and that's ok. I like the quiet, disconnected time. If I wanted some entertainment I could go up top to the lecture / dance hall OR put on a dvd movie on my laptop. And that was my day. Imagine how much more fun it would have been if I had been being pitched up and down, in and out of my bed. Bless you Sea Gods for the semi-calm sea.


Lecture hall / Disco


From Antarctica

No comments:

Post a Comment