Monday, December 29, 2008

Day Three - Send off

There was a nice storm last night that left tons of snow in the mountains around the hotel. For the middle of their summer its amazing to see the peaks resemble the Swiss Alps.



From Pre-Antarctica


My bags finally showed up on the first flight this morning (10am). I’m so happy to see them in the hotel. You don’t appreciate having a change of clothing until you just don’t have the opportunity to change into something fresh. Big kudos go out to our contact in Ushuaia. After filling out a lost bag claim last night and giving it to our contact who met us at the hotel, he made calls, they made calls, and the airline delivered both my bags bags. There was a casuality. Today we left with one lady missing all her bags (they never made the Buenos Aires / Ushuaia connect). Though, to be fair, she didn't give her claim info to our contact. I’ve also befriended two new people. Yesterday I met Ginger at Buenos Aires and then again after her bags too went missing (and she too went standby on the same flight I did - bags also showed up this morning with mine). She is doing this trip, like many others, with her girlfriend, Doris. Thank goodness I ran into them or this trip would be very depressing to not be able to talk about what I’m seeing.

From Pre-Antarctica



Rather quiet morning today around the hotel. 10am check out, walk around downtown, eat some good food, board at 4pm, push away from the pier at 5pm, first dinner at 8:30.

From Pre-Antarctica





Ocean Nova in the front left. Holland America Rotterdam on right

The captain is expecting the dreaded Drake Channel to be a 5 or 6 out of 10 on rough seas. What’s cool is that it’s sunset right now, really just dusk, but its 11pm. Tonight is the Summer Solstice down here and I wonder if the sun really will fully disappear tonight. So, I’m in my room trying to get bundled up to go on the bow to check out the Begal Channel as we leave Ushuaia bound for the dredded Drake but for the life of me I couldn’t find the video camera. No big deal. Then, as luck would have it, I couldn’t the key to the front door. There are moments when I get frustrated because of somewhat insignificant road bumps that I ask myself if there are reasons I’m delayed doing things. Finally, magically, key and camcorder appear to my left on the floor by my bed and off I go to the bow. There, right as I’m grasping the railing of the bow, a group of dolphins show up and begin surfing the waves the bow is creating. Every single time I’ve gone on cruises and seen dolphins, they signify good luck for my trip. They’ve never let me down. Tomorrow we shall know for sure if the luck continues in Antarctica.

From Antarctica

No comments:

Post a Comment